vacation Archives - Greenwald and Gerke Real Estate
One of the benefits of retirement is that you have the freedom and flexibility to travel whenever your heart desires. If you are planning a trip to see the grandkids or you are heading out on a European cruise, then you need to take care of your home before you leave town.
Here are a few simple strategies to keep your home protected while you are away:
- Install Automatic Lights: Indoor lights can be set on timers, to make it look like someone is home in the evenings. Outside, you might consider motion sensor lights to illuminate the driveway if someone walks up to your home.
- Notify the Neighbors: Talk to your neighbors to let them know the dates that you will be gone. It can be helpful to have someone watching the house in case something goes wrong. You might consider leaving a key in case of an emergency situation.
- Hold the Mail: When the mailbox is full and the newspapers are piled up on the porch, it is an announcement that you are out of town. Avoid these problems by putting a hold on your mail and newspaper service.
- Leave an Itinerary: Where will you be traveling? Share a copy of your itinerary with a family member or close friend.
- Avoid Social Media: It might be fun to share pictures of your vacation, but it is best to wait until after you get home. Posting travel pictures on social media will announce to the world that your home is empty.
- Pay for a Security System: There are many benefits to installing a security system. Put up the security company sign to notify potential intruders that your home is protected.
If you are planning to travel a lot during retirement, then you might consider the option to move into a home that offers HOA services. You can pay a monthly fee that cares for the yard and outdoor maintenance of your property.
If you are interested in living in an HOA community, then you need to talk to our team here at Greenwald &Gerke Realtors. We will gladly help you find the right home for your retirement lifestyle: (844) 782-9674